Sunday, March 14, 2010

Fun with Fish






So after much prevaricating I did it, I finally went back to cooking school. This time it is fish or to give it it's full title Pescados y Mariscos. Transalted Fish and Seafood.

The down side of it ( and there is always one) is that it starts at the ungodly hour of 7.45 a.m. every Saturday and Sunday. For someone such as myself who is rarely up with the lark this is showing the purest form of dedication I have given in a long while.

I probably live closer to the school than anyone else and yet I always skid in as the clock strikes and throw myself into my uniform. The pre-class discussion sessions with the chef are paramount to success in the kitchen. The recipes we have in our books work on the assumption we already know the basics. Wouldn't be so tough if I had more than basic Spanish. I have to research each recipe before class to make sure I grasp all the terminology.

It is quite exciting and challenging to be discovering techniques on how to handle fish (dead or alive) but scary too as I am sure I will be the one who loses a digit to an angry crab!

Sunday mornings as we slice and dice; saute & simmer, the bells of the local church ring out and the sun comes creeping out. Feels rightous and good until the waft of fishy viscera ascends!
Intend to post photos of various fish dishes made.

No comments: