Monday, March 22, 2010

Santa Monica

Saint Monica the Patron Saint of those in difficult marriages, victims of verbal abuse, unfaithfulness and adultery. So this is an apt name for the Women's Prison situated on the outskirts of town. After my first visit there I can only surmise that most of the inmates were victims of some type of abuse in a partnership that lead them down the wrong road. I know we all have choices and that old slogan of the 80's told us " Just Say No" but we need willpower. Let's be honest here, we all succumb to temptation at some time or another. For some of us more than others, we know when to apply sense and use our moral compass.


There are many who judge that those incarcerated for their crimes, deserve what they get. Is it so hard to believe some may be innocent or were coerced, taken advantage of, even forced?

All I know is that guilty or not we all need a touch of human kindness and we all have room to grow and change our ways.

I hope that all of the inmates when they leave will find a new and better path to follow. I doubt it but I hope so.

No comments: