Friday, December 11, 2009

Tis the Season

December descended with invitations and events on the calendar morning noon and night, which brings me to the same thoughts I have every year. When do we start and when do we stop "Celebrating the Season".

I am presently what is considered a "lady of leisure". A woman no longer gainfully employed yet I seem to work endless volunteer hours. Most of these are with the aim of raising money to provide a gift for those with very little to be thankful or grateful for.



When I were a lass.... we put the tree up as close to Christmas as possible. Tradition dictates it should be Christmas Eve and taken down on Twelfth Night. Nowadays it's up the first day of December and we have had enough of it by Boxing Day. We often travel between Christmas and New Year and I can't abide having to come back to a stack of laundry and the un-decoration( is that even a word ?). It all seems so sad once the gifts are gone.



This year there was very little beneath our tree as our gift was a trip to the Galapagos Islands, which meant all family gifts were distributed earlier in the year and the chicas would be getting a once in a lifetime experience instead of presents. Certainly makes for a less stressful Christmas. Only stockings and a few gift bags to fill. Did it feel less atmospheric because of this? I would say not. To quote that old Carroll "All is calm all is bright" ( well some days sunny, some days foggy) We had all the usual activities to get us in the mood. Carol service, pantomime and a variety of Christmas parties.


Being involved in parties and gift giving for those less fortunate than ourselves has helped to give me a true sense of the phrase " it is better to give than to receive". Sounds like a cliche but the events that I have helped at this season have been very humbling. Wrapping gifts does add to the excitement and sense of the season.
It only takes one gift to make these kids happy.


Shopping for gifts is usually a year long project for me as I always like a head start and rarely trust the postal services. I prefer to drop them into the hand of the recipient even if that means July when I am on my summer visit home. This causes much hilarity and rolling of eyes amongst friends and family. They are a spilt crowd, either exclaiming at my organisation skills or my craziness at handing out shiny be-ribboned gifts 6 months before the Feast of Good King Wencelas!

Doubt I will ever change.

No comments: