Thursday, May 7, 2009

Fashion









Artistes
I do not consider myself artistic more a practical person so working with artistes is new territory for me.
May 5th was the culmination of a long work in progress fund raiser.
The idea being we sell tickets to the Fashion Show, the designers get recognition and hopefully new clients, the ladies and the odd gent get a fabulous show and delicious tea at the beautiful and traditional country club. We the commitee make enough money to donate to an orphanage so 63 children will have school uniforms, shoes, christmas presents, birthday cakes and whatever else they may need to make life a little more normal for them. Through all the preparations it helps to remind oneself "it's for the children". It seems easy enough until you add in a rather unreliable "artiste".
To find out days before the show that one of the designers has dropped out is cause for concern. To hear that the promised donations amount to $$$ less than first anticipated is worrying. To be waiting at the back door for the designer to arrive with his creations an hour after the show should have started is enough to give me palpatations or a case of the vapours.
Despite all this the event went off well. The back drop, music and designs were amazing. The padre of the orphanage had front row seats and certainly got a birds eye view of some delicate skin! His speech was quiet funny as he mentioned not knowing much about fashion and how he played it safe every day by wearing classic black and white!
We got some very generous raffle donations of tickets to US/Mexico/Peru(no need to worry about swine flu the tickets are good for a year!) Hotel stays and dinner at some of the top restaurants in the city.
Guess who was the first name called out at the Raffle???
Just as well the prizes were given in reverse order. If I had won the air fare to the US I think there may well have been a riot or a demand for a re-take. I find it quite funny the attitude some have to my winning streak. It's not as if I can fix the odds in my favour, it is nothing but pure luck and it would appear I have a slightly larger portion than most. Hope I don't jinx myself by saying that out loud.

No comments: