Friday, April 3, 2009

Wednesdays with Juani



Every Wednesday morning you can find me somewhere in the school library. I first volunteered last August and have continued to show up each week. With my chica's in Middle school the need for classroom help is practically non-existant so I decided to offer myself up for other volunteer jobs.
Every Wednesday I enter the calm of the library and feel as though I am to use a Spanish expression "Estoy en mi salsa" Translation means. I am in my sauce. Or to use a Brit one "I'm at my Grannies". I feel at home, comfortable and where I am meant to be.
As I said it is only a volunteer job and mostly consists of doing the jobs no one else likes to do or has time to do. Mainly the covering of books in protective plastic. See, far from glamorous but yet the monotony of it soothes me. A gal easily pleased you think. I sometimes do inventory, read stories and try to answer questions on teen fiction. So Jack of all, Master of none!
Ms. Juani is the lovely librarian who quielty and calmly sits at the computer checking books in and out and guides me to where I am needed that day or can be of use. I have never seen her frown nor heard her raise her voice. Nothing like the draconian librarians I recall from my youth. This library does not implement the " Silence is Golden " rule. How could it with hundreds of students, teachers and parents trailing in and out all day. There are however peaceful moments between classes and I find it almost soporific.

I have my little station with books stacked all around, reems of tape in varying sizes and rolls of plastic or to give it it's Peruvian title Vinifan!!! I get to peruse all the new books and donated ones. I like the access to view just what teenagers are reading and to see how many well thumbed copies of Junie B. Jones are still enjoyed. This of course detracts from my ability to produce finished products and explains why the heaps of books never seem to go down.
With the celing fans whirring and the smell of fustiness, neatly stacked periodicals and glossy mags I settle into my own temporary little piece of manna.

The fun part is reading to the 4/5 year olds and choosing books to compliment the topic they are "studying" each term. With only a a few weeks left of the school year I can see just how far these little ones have come with their language skills some are multi lingual. They even brought me some flowers for Mother's day which brightened my day no end.

After duties I indulge myself a little and read the US newspapers and flick thru People and Vanity Fair. I come out feeling so rested and ready to get on with the days chores or activities.

My advice go forth and volunteer it really is rewarding and in my case a little self indulgent. Hope they want me back next year.

No comments: