Thursday, March 19, 2009

Pass It On






Today I survived my first foray into the world of public cooking demonstrations.

My receptive and appreciative audience were the ladies of the Canadian Women's Club. An international bunch of female members who meet once a month and I rather grandly offered to open up my home for their March meeting.

It was a somewhat selfish offer too as my aim was to share recipes in a bid to assist Jamie Oliver in his "Pass It On" movement. I bought his book " Ministry of Food" signed my pledge and set about sharing first with my daughters and then branching out to friends and acquaintances.

To make it appear less amatuerish I donned my whites and left off the hat. Oohs and aahs boosted my confidence as they all thought I looked professional. I chose simple assembly recipes,cooking the ingredients ahead of time. I did not feel it neccasary to show the audience how to peel and boil potatoes or slice a cucumber. Plus since my early childhood days of watching TV cooking programmes I have always wanted to use that phrase "and here's something I prepared earlier"
Never got to use that old chestnut of Johny Craddocks. "May all your doughnuts turn out like Fannies/Fanny's #%* The old ones are the best.

I basically demonstrated 4 recipes that take very little cooking and all with fresh ingredients.
I even got a round of applause at the end and lots of great questions. I shared the recipes and link to Jamie's webpage. I have e-mailed several times inviting him to Peru. Feel this could be his next new project. Maybe if I post some photos and and bung up his blog page with requests he will consider a visit.

No comments: