Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Let Them Eat Cake





Old Russian Proverb

"A House is Beautiful not because of it's walls. But because of it's cakes."

I need to find someone Russian to ask if they know of this phrase.

I love this little sentence as it so defines how I feel about "baking" "friendship" "home".


Last weekend I did a little baking and had a small soiree. I was at the beach unitl 45 minutes before our guests arrived. I had prepared the food earlier in the day. As the smell lingered about us while we chatted I felt a sense of warmth, ease and bonhomie. No the gas oven was not left on. We cook electric!

I have always felt that putting a little effort in to the baking of sweet treats shows your guest you care and want to make them feel welcome.

The peeling paint on the window sill,the mould damaged cupboards and dusty ledges were invisible to us as we enjoyed the company and aroma of sugar laced desserts with a hint of liquer.
The signs of decay in our appartment do not denote the fact that I am domestically challenged! These are signs of the climate far too humid and foggy and it is impossible to hold at bay the affect the weather has on the building.
Amazing what a few candles and a decadent dessert can disguise.
It would seem that in these economic dire straits that people will be looking more to home entertainment, for us it has never gone out of fashion.
Some of our most memrobable celebrations have been in our home with friends, a bottle of wine a good dessert and the playing of games.
As young Marie Antionette is alleged to have muttered!. Let them eat cake! In our family cake eating is a national pastime so try and stop us.

2 comments:

Bee said...

You know that I feel exactly the same. I'm going to try a new recipe for honey cake tomorrow . . . I've been out of my baking groove lately.

Bon Bon said...

Do tell if the Honey cake was a hit. The honey here is very good.
Tomorrow is my big baking debut.
Watch the blog for info on how it all went.